Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Urban Frog Pond

There are lots of Pacific Chorus Frogs around here.  Right now, in early February, they're getting serious about reproduction, and you can hear them croaking from nearly any suitable body of water.  Which means just about any puddle that isn't right out in the middle of the road.

When I was a kid, there was a little pond down the road from us, and I would collect one or two egg masses every spring, and raise the tadpoles in an aquarium on the front porch.  Tiny green frogs are frickin' adorable, but also the garter snakes that I would catch and observe for a while thought they were delicious.

Here, in the city, these animals aren't quite as easy to interact with as they were when I was a kid, but I want my daughter to be exposed to them.  I think if I provide a little artificial puddle, she might get to see some tadpoles turn into froglets this spring.  I've got a plastic tub, about 3 ft x 2 ft x 8" deep, and I'm going to set it in the ground next to a patch of irises in a shady part of the side yard.  I've heard frogs croaking on that side of the house lately, so I bet they'll find it soon enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment